transition to the
Hoya de Malaga
A SMALL FORTRESS
in the foothills of the Sierra de las Nieves
Alozaina is a town of 2200 inhabitants between Coín and Ronda, before the rise towards Casarabonela and Yunquera.
The earliest remains of habitation were found in Joróx – a small hamlet between Alozaina and Yunquera. Two gold trumpets from the Bronze Age and other artefacts from ancient times are now displayed in the Archaeological Museum of Malaga.
From the time of the Iberians or perhaps Phoenician, tombs with decorated vessels and other objects have been found.
With the arrival of the Muslims, the watchtowers of Ardite and Alozaina were built, which would become the origins of the current village of Alozaina.
The Muslims, in addition to the castle and the urban form of the old town, created an aqueduct from the area of Albar - along the old road of Casarabonela - with a clay ditch and ceramic tiles.
Its economy was based on agriculture: raisins, figs, cereals, oil mills and almonds.
This tranquillity would be cut short by the Re-conquest of the Catholic Monarchs. On June 20, 1484, Álora surrendered, the Marquis of Cádiz sent his brother Diego and the warden of Arcos to take possession of the town of Alozaina.
Shortly after, a skirmish takes place in which the Count de Belalcázar, - who was married to a cousin of the monarch – was killed.
Suspecting the participation of some Moors from Alozaina, they burned and cut down, as punishment, a large part of their lands, which provoked a depopulation of the town.
In 1498 the parish of Alozaina was founded, having been repopulated with Christians between 1485 and 1490 through the granting of a Royal Charter.
The tower of Alozaina and a large part of its lands were granted to Garci Fernández Manrique, which would be passed on to his descendants - the Counts of Frigiliana and the Dukes of Montellano.
In 1864 the current Band of Music was founded by a teacher called Francisco Sánchez and at the end of the 19th century, a newspaper called "El Reformista Administrativo" was created, the original director being F. Martín de la Cruz.
In 1998 and specifically on February 15, the first Spanish referendum on the reduction of working hours to 35 hours a week was held in Alozaina, and it was widely supported by the residents of the town.
Further information on the history of Alozaina can be found here:
Things to see include: Parque Mirador, Torreón de María Sagredo, Arcos de Alozaina, Iglesi Parroquial de Santa Ana, Hornacina Santa Cruz, Nécropolis Ermita Mozár del Horno de los Peñonas, Fuente El Albar, Parques y Jardinas, Casco Antiguo, Jorox.
PLACES TO EAT AND DRINK
Asador El Callejón
Asador Las Niñas
Calle Calvario 1
Plaza del Romero, 6
Bar El Olivo
Calle Calvario 48
Bar El Nuevo
Calle Calvario 22
Disco Pub El Garage
Calle Calvario 42
Calle Calvario 26
Calle Mesón 59
Calle Calvario 16
Avenida Andalucia 1
Restaurante El Canario
Calle Calvario, Bloque Vista Hermosa
Calle Calvario 12
Restaurante Mirador Sierra de las Nieves
Carratera Ronda-Malaga km42
Valle de Jorox. Carretera Alozaina - Yunquera, s/n
Bar La Piscina
Calle Malaga 57
Bar Centro de Mayores
Calle Calvario 5
COPYRIGHT 2019 © All images and text Francisca de Agustin Romo and Michael Lindsay Orr